Wanderlust

Wanderlust
I like to linger, a little longer, a little longer here with you

31 July, 2016

Chai ki Chuski

My best friend's mother, Huma Aunty is very fond of chai just like all of us, and she takes it to a very next level by having such a beautiful collection of Chai ke pyaale and teapots. It makes me think of having my own collection of delicate tea cups and variety of Chai-patti too (someday definitely). Last week when we visited the cottage emporium in Janpath, I remember her picking some very interesting chai pattis like Kawa and Orange pekoe Darjeeling tea.

Tea is comfort for me, a lot of you will agree with me here.  We Indian are the most fascinating when it comes to Chai, everyone has their own taste of tea and the way they like their tea differs from person to person. Moreover, how is it that every Indian house has an evening Chai session and each family, each house has its own Chai recipe!? The evening chai ritual for me is something, I only enjoy at home. I should tell you that during winters and ofcourse when I am writing or studying, a cup of Chai is like an extension of my hand. But right now I am more into Coffee. actually there are phases, somedays i want coffee and somedays I am only drinking tea.


For me the most important thing is how the Chai is made. I share the exact same taste for Chai as my mother and my chachi. We like it simple. Starting with boiling the water with chai-patti and lot of adrak and then a dash of milk, with right amount of sugar (a super sweet cup of tea is a total no-no)
At home it is made so often that we end up drinking three or four cups a day. But you know what my favourite part is? (apart from drinking it, and definitely not making it) I love the smell of Chai and Coffee. Such a warm and uplifting smell. The moment I bring the cup close to my lip and smell the chai before taking first sip, (yes I judge chai with its smell) that is my favourite moment. The perfect concoction of tea reminds me of rain and pakoras and the roadside dhabas and the chai break we took during classes and the family funtions at home with cups of sweet chai being passed around. Basically it reminds me of home. Funny thing is however hot it gets still people do not give upon their Garam Chai ki Chuski. Right?



2 comments: