Wanderlust

Wanderlust
I like to linger, a little longer, a little longer here with you

10 April, 2016

Exploring Delhi - Sultan Ghari's Tomb

I am endlessly discovering Delhi and I know I will be doing the same for a long long time. I can visit the same places again and again and still not be able to capture it's essence fully. I know I can go to the same Monuments and a new characteristic would come in front of me every time. This is the beauty of this ancient city and it has made me fall in love with it through its past history.
      So recently I visited Sultan Ghari's Tomb which took me by surprise with it uniqueness. One does get a shock and awe at witnessing the inimitable majestic fortress-tomb rise from the ground in the middle of the unrelenting forest. It is the splendid beauty of the gigantic rectangular entrance which gives a protective shed to a shared culture and  peaceful cohabitation of the local Hindu and Muslims. Over the ages they began considering Nasiruddin Mahmud a a saint. “Peer Baba” who is remembered by regular lighting of oil lamps and incense. Continuing since decades, is a tradition that had been unaffected by any political or religious attempts and acts as a sign of heartwarming coexistence between these people of varying faiths and their mutual admiration and acceptance of each other.
The fact that this structure was built over a Hindu/jain temple and used the architectural remains of a temple is the most interesting part for me (Just like we find in the Quwwatu'l-Islam Mosque). Infact the architecture students and other History geeks will be so thrilled to point out at the Hindu temple remains used in the Tomb,  just like I did.
 From the inscriptions on the main gateway,  we learn that it was built in 1231 by Iltutmish for his eldest son Nasiru'd-Din Mahmud. This is characterised as early Delhi Sultanate architecture. The Arched Windows, the Corbelled Arch, the Dark Crypt and the 'Mihrab' cannot go unnoticed.

The Tangible Heritage being my weakness made me come here and made me go back to the past and imagine things how they were in medieval times. I like to feel this way when I am at such places. You know the feeling when you walk down a 11th century structure and cannot believe that Sultans and Princes walked the same corridors? The same place which is in ruins today, would have been a centre for the activities!?  That if you spend more time at this structure and devote yourself in the stories of Nasiru'd-Din Baba you could also become a believer of this shrine/monument. I spent my remaining time in the Tomb, giving a thought on these questions...

4 comments: